Friday, February 09, 2018

Putting Down Roots


Hello!
It's been so long since I've sat down here to write a blog post that I really don't know where to begin. I have this dreadful fear of being yet another blog that "takes a break" but never returns, so write a blog post I must!
Moving house didn't go anything like I had imagined it. It's a long boring story though, so I don't think I'll bother you with it. The gist of the story is, that we've only just moved in a couple of weeks ago! We are in New South Wales, the planned destination. I've never actually set foot outside of Queensland before, and I underestimated how being in a place I'd never been before would feel. At times it's been overwhelming - not knowing where anything is, having to look up maps each time before your journey out, and even trying to get used to daylight savings.
On the flip side, it's been delightful to see so many new places. To have the fun of discovering the lovely little things tucked away in this new town. And summer has been bliss. For the trip down the coast, I packed my full summer wardrobe, thinking I would need it all, and only a couple of slightly cooler-weather items, in case of a rainy day when they might be needed. It turns out that once we reached south-east Queensland, the weather was delightful. Whilst the locals complained of the heat, I enjoyed the beautiful weather and came to understand why one might want to make Christmas a more outdoors celebration. It was hot, I grant you that, but not what I am accustomed to for that time of year.
New South Wales, on the other hand, I have yet to find hot at all. I'm sure I'll acclimatise, but at the moment I am loving summer (even when the locals find it hot) and wondering how I'll manage in winter!




The morning view from the back garden
Finding your feet in a new place, amongst all the chaos of moving in, unpacking and trying to get a home based business running again is hard. I've yet to actually explore what will hopefully become my local area. I did lots of exploring of the Sunshine Coast, where we stopped to visit family and friends on the trip down. But in this new spot, we're encumbered by the busyness of settling in. Once the house is organised I do plan to get out and get to know the area - something that I find can often happen when you live somewhere is that you forget to go out and explore it. I'm determined that this won't happen here!



I swing from feeling happy with this new place to wondering what we've done, feeling like a fish out of water and wishing for some familiarity. As I went into town on Monday to post orders (for the shop is open again), I felt a long way from home. I felt I was just an observer, as around me locals hurried about their errands and stopped to talk to one another. Everyone seemed to know one another and have catching up to do, whilst I spent five minutes wandering around the shop trying to find cashews.
We've got access here to so much organic and locally grown produce, which is wonderful, and the local wholefoods shop sells seedlings from a local grower.
I collected some lettuce, mizuna and a chive plant from there a few days ago and had the joy of planting them out into one of the four raised veggie beds that are already in the garden. A simple task like that was very grounding, and oddly has helped me feel more settled. As the seedlings put down their roots, hopefully, I shall do the same.

Subscribe to receive posts via email and never miss out again

12 comments

  1. Oh Sarah, I'm so excited for you! Finally - the place and life of your dreams, where, hopefully, grass will grow and you can have your sheep and cattle back again. Gardening always grounds me too. Makes me feel a huge sense of accomplishment. Even just planting a few seedlings feels good. So delighted to see your blog on my feed this morning! Welcome back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Margareta! I'm so happy to have your encouragement and support. Sheep and cattle, yes, hopefully again, in the meantime I am enjoying getting settled into this new area and learning which part I like best xx

      Delete
  2. Hello Sarah! It's lovely to catch up with you in your new area. The view out the back looks lovely. What a good idea to plant seedlings to grow and to eat! I'm looking forward to hearing your adventures as you begin to become a part of the local area's scenery xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lovely! I love growing food, it's fun and I feel like a mother hen going out to check on my seedlings twice a day :-) We'll have to have a phone catch up soon x

      Delete
  3. I think I'd have to plant something as soon as I moved somewhere new too, Sarah. Something to grow in the ground of a new home, that makes it feel like its yours. Great view from your back garden! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Meg! Having my small patch of seedlings as definitely made it feel more like mine x

      Delete
  4. A lovely post Sarah, so nice to hear from you! Moving is huge...not that we have moved in a while. I truly think it takes years to become a local but how exciting to have new places to explore and discover and new potential connections to make. Having access to organic and locally grown produce is a huge advantage and one of the few things I really miss, living where we live. Your new surroundings look beautiful. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it does take years to become "local", to know where places are when people mention them, etc.
      Thank you for your lovely comment, Jane xx

      Delete
  5. Gardening is definitely good for the soul - we'll be heading back to the allotment soon :) I also think walking helps ground me, getting to know the area through my feet! sending lots of good wishes for your new adventure x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking is so relaxing, isn't it? This town has limited parking, so I do a lot of walking once I finally get a park, which is really nice as I think it's how it's experienced best :-)

      Delete
  6. Very excited to see your new post. I have been checking in in anticipation and then life got crazy here the last 3 weeks so only checking in now. Look forward to hearing of your new adventures in NSW. Jacques UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jacques! It makes me super happy to hear that you enjoy my blog. x

      Delete

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall