Friday, September 30, 2016

In My Kitchen | October 2016


You may remember my In My Kitchen posts from last year, when I would join the popular link-up, now hosted by Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things. I've finally gotten around to being organised enough to join in (for the first time this year!), and so am delighted to give you a little peek at a few of the yummy things that are happening in my kitchen today. I am aware that it's still September for a few hours yet, but my post was ready tonight so I thought why not publish it now, seeing as Lizzy has already put her post up :-)

Above is a garlic and cheese sourdough loaf, made on 100% freshly ground spelt as usual. (The recipe is available in Spelt Sourdough Made Simple). I baked this particular loaf in a tin for a change. I don't actually own a "proper" bread tin, so my tin-baked loaves always resemble loaf cakes since that is what I use. I will buy a real bread tin, one of these days!




Fresh ricotta, made from our raw milk, was mixed with kale, garlic, a little grated cheese and some salt to form part of a baked pasta dish. It's such an easy dish to make, when there's freshly made ricotta in the fridge, and one that I always enjoy. Sometimes I stuff this mixture into cannelloni tubes, layer it with lasagna, or as I did this time put it together like a pasta bake. Whatever way I am doing it, it's always delicious, paired with a sauce of tomatoes, oregano or basil and a little creamy homegrown milk blended together, and the whole lot topped with some more grated cheese. Yum!


A tray of deliciously caramelised, roasted pumpkin, sprinkled with cumin seeds as and destined to be experimented with in a spelt sourdough pumpkin bread recipe. The smell of cumin toasting in the oven is delightful, the only downside was that I baked an apple crumble at the same time and the flavour of cumin was present in a few mouthfuls. Just as well I hadn't made it for guests!


And lastly, a banana bread. I have to admit that I get a little excited when I spy very over ripe bananas in the fruit bowl - banana bread (or should it be called cake?) is one of my favourite things to enjoy for breakfast with a cup of tea. I'll be sharing the recipe for this next week, so keep an eye out for it here or in your inbox if you've subscribed.

Also in my kitchen are more watermelon and pineapple, from my favourite roadside stall. Tomorrow there shall be an array of salad, fresh sourdough and quiche made with our homegrown eggs for lunch (we're having guests). And early next week I think I might just have to bake some sourdough cinnamon scrolls, as it will be cinnamon bun day in Sweden, and even though I'm Australian, why miss out on a good excuse to enjoy fresh buttery cinnamon scrolls?

Goodness me, I've just realised how much bread I've mentioned in this post. I do eat from other food groups, I promise!

Now, what's happening in your kitchen?
Perhaps you'd like to share below in the comments, or maybe even join in with your own post over here.

Have a lovely weekend!
Sarah x

PS Can you believe it is October tomorrow?!

Subscribe via email and never miss a post again

26 comments

  1. Hi there lovely, thank you for the shout out. I would be grateful if you would kindly please link back to my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz,
      I've linked to your blog - in the bottom, you must have missed it. Or would you rather I link to your blog and not the post itself? :-)

      Delete
  2. Bread....oh, how I wish mine didn't turn out like a brick in need of a saw to cut it! Yours looks delicious:) Thankfully, other things I bake are a bit more palatable! Of late, I've made several apple and mulberry pies, a chicken and leek pie, mini quiches, a pumpkin and silverbeet lasanga and some moreish chocolate chip cookies which have already all disappeared...I have a growing boy so I suspect he's gobbled them up! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness that all sounds so delicious Meg! Especially the mulberry pies, yum!

      Delete
  3. Ooh I always feel hungry after reading your posts! Thank you for the gorgeous photos x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made my own apple sauce from the first fallen apples and I have preserved it in jars - let's hope I did everything properly and it will last! I love apple sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum! I hope it preserves well for you too :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh, that roasted pumpkin. Yummy. We are travelling right now and I'm craving some vegetables. Thank you for joining in IMK, Sarah. Loving your blog posts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful things in your kitchen this month. I am so glad that Liz has taken over the IMK link up so I can keep track of everyone and the awesome things they have in their kitchens. This is my favourite link up each month - so glad that you are joining in xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much Shari! I love this link up too, and have missed doing them x

      Delete
  7. Wow homemade ricotta, very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you have so much going on in your kitchen, and it all sounds so delicious! My mouth is literally watering!

    Kez | acaciasdreams.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yum Sarah. I could eat all of this right now! A blog post...or a kitchen can never have too much bread x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Homemade ricotta from raw milk sounds amazing Sarah, what sort of cows do you have? I'm looking forward to seeing your banana bread recipe, I did a banana bread bakeoff a couple of months ago, your recipe would have gone great there :) Lovely having you here for IMK, see you next month x
    https://missfoodfairy.com/2016/10/05/in-my-kitchen-october-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much! We're milking one cow at the moment - she's a Jersey x Friesian. Our other cow is a Brown Swiss cross, but she's still pregnant with her first calf so we're yet to milk her :-)

      Delete
  11. Hi, Sarah! Bread as a food group is perfectly fine by me. :) Looks like you've got some other well-rounded offerings as well... swooning over your pasta creation and tandem crumble. The best meals are a combination of flavors, aromas, and LOVE ... all of which evidently abound In Your Kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, thank-you so much for your lovely comment! It made my afternoon x

      Delete
  12. I love the sound of your baked pasta creation (and the accompanying crumble; I do so love crumbles!). I think bread is a perfectly fine food group myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh lovely fresh ricotta how marvellous from your own milk. And your own eggs! This year has flown by hasn't it? Scarily close to Xmas:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just updating my blog address. I spelt it wrong:). Love your fresh ricotta!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall