Saturday, July 30, 2016

Cast Off | Clara Bow Sweater


It's finally done. I couldn't quite believe it when I cast off the very last stitch of my Clara Bow Sweater. After spending so long working on it, I have to admit that the finished pieces sat in my work basket for a week or two before I summoned up the courage to stitch them together.

Because, you know, after sewing it together, comes trying it on. And I was so afraid of something not being right with it after all that work I'd put in. When I very nervously slipped it on and had a look in the mirror, I was over the moon. It fitted, it didn't look strange and best of all it was super comfortable and deliciously soft. It was definitely a sigh of relief moment.

 All this happened a few months ago, and here I am now finally sharing it here. My first ever knitted garment, completed. It doesn't quite feel like my first, because in between working on it, I started and completed a few other garments, like my Chocolate Shrug and Baa-ble Hat. But this is my first, and will always have that special feeling to it.
It isn't perfect, but what handmade item ever is? With the big time lapse from cast on to cast off, I've grown so much as a knitter in between and there are a few things I'd do differently next time. I'd add around another inch to the hem if I made it again, and I'd work the sleeves two at a time. I hadn't even heard of that technique when I cast on the first sleeve though, so it was too late to try it after I found out.

Now, the details that I know you probably want:
The pattern is from the to-die-for book Knit Vintage. There are so many patterns I'm bursting to make from this book! Especially with my Clara Bow Sweater having turned out so beautifully, and being such a joy to knit (in between the unravelling, of course). Seriously, if you love vintage fashion like I do, you have to buy this book!!

And the yarn is Morris & Sons Empire 4ply in Kingfisher. This yarn is beautiful to work with and wear - it has 100% zero itch factor and comes in 4, 8 & 10ply. Some of the colours can be a little off when ordering online however, so keep that in mind.


Now, I'd love to know what you've been working on lately?
Please share below!

Have a lovely weekend,
Sarah x

To see all other posts about my Clara Bow Sweater, click here.
Ravelry project page here 

And thank-you to Megan for her incredible patience & photographs!

Joining Yarn Along and KCCO

Subscribe via email and never miss a post again

28 comments

  1. Such a beautiful sweater - very much my style. Congratulations on an awesome finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It fits beautifully, it must have been designed just for you! Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much Kellie! I'm so happy with the fit x

      Delete
  4. It's a gorgeous pattern and you've knitted it in a lovely colour. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much Ann! The colour was chosen for me, as the yarn was a gift x

      Delete
  5. It looks wonderful! I made a vest but it doesn't fit well, i need to work on that again. When i finish the lacey alpaca scarf... lace stitches take so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much Liz. Lace can take a little time, depending on the complication of the pattern. I hope you can remedy your vest x

      Delete
  6. Wow, this is gorgeous, I can't believe this is your first knitted garment, it looks so professional! My first knitted garment was a simple scarf, and it was terrible, I couldn't even imagine tackling such a huge task, no wonder it took you a while to complete!

    Kez | acaciasdreams.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much for your lovely comment Kez! x

      Delete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous. So very clever when you think about it. You made that out of two sticks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much Brydie! Yes, it's pretty amazing what we can do with two sticks and a bit of string ;-) x

      Delete
  8. So pretty Sarah, and beautifully modelled too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much Jane! I always appreciate your kindness x

      Delete
  9. I adore your jumper, it's so cute! I'm currently knitting my second baable beanie, they are such fun... and a little bit addictive :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much! Those beanies are fun, aren't they? I'd like to make a few more x

      Delete
  10. Big, big congratulations! I can't imagine what it feels like to finish a sweater. (That's because I keep putting the one I started three years ago back in the bottom of the workbasket for "later." Ahem. It's kind of never really "later," so far.) Your sweater is beautiful in every way--love that pretty blue you picked, and the vertical ribbing is so very flattering. I know you'll love wearing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much for your lovely comment Annie! I didn't actually choose the blue, the yarn was a gift so it was chosen for me, but I don't think I could have chosen better myself! I'm sure you'll get your sweater finished one day - all in good time x

      Delete
  11. Wow! What a gorgeous sweater! Congratulations on completing it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sweater is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the prettiest jumper ever!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so very much for your lovely comment Michelle! x

      Delete
  14. oh. such a beautiful sweater. <3

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall