Sunday, June 05, 2016

Winter Weekends







Winter has arrived this weekend, beginning yesterday with thick lingering fog and then a freezing cold, clear blue sky today. There's something peaceful about a foggy morning, I find. I feel cocooned in my own little world. There's an air of magic about it, as though anything could happen. It's not often we got foggy mornings, so I tend to delight in them when we do have one. It's the only thing to entice me out of the house first thing with the camera.
Yesterday was full of animal jobs. Loading livestock provided a reminder that not everyone shares the thought of being very patient and gentle with stock. It gets the job done faster and in a more pleasant way, for us and the animal involved.

And today has so far been a much needed slow and gentle Sunday, complete with a lot of sourdough baking, photographing and writing. It's impossible to bake, photograph and then write about fragrant sourdough fruit buns without eating one in the process. Truly.

Later I plan on perhaps digging out my knitting needles, along with stitching the seam in a pair of socks my Mum knitted. I've had a lot of seam stitching practice after making and selling many hand knit items a few years ago, so I'll get them done very quickly and neatly. And with the sudden change in weather a warm pair of woollen socks will definitely be needed!

What are you up to this wintry weekend?
I hope you're keeping warm!

Sarah x

PS Remember the Here & Now link up is happening again on the 10th of this month!

Subscribe via email and never miss a post again

12 comments

  1. Love your photography Sarah, I too cannot resist an early morning walk with my camera on a misty morning. Here in the UK, the weather is gloriously warm...a day of gardening and knitting for me.
    Tina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tina! Your day sounds lovely - enjoy x

      Delete
  2. Hello Sarah! We are having a nice summer weekend, although it rained most of last week, so at the moment I am happy about the blue skies, it does so remind me of home! Today I think my tomato seedlings might be ready to be planted out in the garden :) Will you be sharing the recipe for the sourdough fruit buns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronika,
      Your day sounds lovely, and poles about from the weather here at the moment!
      The recipe will be published in my eBook.
      Sarah x

      Delete
  3. Hi Sarah. Your photos are lovely and the foggy one really puts you in the mood to nestle inside, warm and toasty (or fruit bunny)! Here in Sydney we have just had three solid days of heavy rain but it was really needed so I am thankful. I have been inside most of the time cooking and blocking in the background of the Peggy painting. Now that I have finished the other piece I can spend more time on it. Hope you have a great day!
    Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dawn! Rainy days are wonderful for cooking, aren't they? I hopped over to your facebook page the other day and saw the beginnings of your Peggy painting - I look forward to seeing it finished!
      Have a lovely week x

      Delete
  4. My weekends have been busy and I am looking forward to a long weekend coming to enjoy a potter in the garden and cooking up new winter recipes that I have found. The sourdough looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Katie. I hope you enjoy the coming weekend! x

      Delete
  5. How delicious Sarah. My goodness...doesn't fog just create instant photography magic. It drives me out the door with my camera too. Speaking of magic, those buns! They look like they are just waiting for the butter and a cup of tea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does! Glad to know I'm not the only crazy person out there in the cold chasing fog with a camera ;-)

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos! The first one is special - nature's best lace.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Amamlia! I always think of lace when I see such perfect webs - and the Shirley Barber books I enjoyed as a child x

      Delete

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall