Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Midsummer


January is nearly gone, and we head into the last month of summer. This season has gone quickly for me, bringing the rain that we had hoped for and hot long days filled with the sounds of cicadas.
The sheep are shedding their wool quickly in this heat, rubbing along fences and trees and anything else they can find. The ewes are due to lamb in June, I'm excited for lambing already!




Even though summer is still well and truly with us I am already thinking ahead to my Autumn garden. Time wise it's not that far away and I enjoy forward planning when it comes to the garden. It's time to move the chickens into most of the patches to clear them out for a good few weeks before I start planting heaps of veggies in March. The pumpkin vine is beginning to flower, and also beginning to put it's plan of garden takeover into action. I'm keeping a watchful eye on it though, and have it pointed towards a trellis. I'll just have to make sure it climbs up. The sunflowers are about to bloom too. And the zucchinis that I thought had given up living are beginning to flower again, along with the cucumber being covered in little yellow blooms too. So hopefully we're in for another glut of zucchinis and cucumbers soon!
Also from the garden have been more Rosellas. The last bucket I collected I dried for tea...but perhaps I'll write about that another day. I'm planning a batch of jam with the next harvest.

Other midsummer things include overgrown grass, waking up to the sound of thunder, keeping an eye out for snakes, long nights and the constant whir of ceiling fans. It also makes your sourdough rise quickly and as a result my loaf today over proved and came out of the oven a little flat. Never mind.

What's happening in your patch right now?
Are you making plans for your garden or harvesting anything?
Maybe it's cold where you are?
Stay warm or cool and have a lovely evening!

Sarah x

Follow    Subscribe to Say! Little Hen via Email and never miss a post again

12 comments

  1. Your happenings are outstanding Sarah! I like that you have so many different veggies that you can plant and harvest! So wonderful! We have limited space here for pumpkins and such….you are a lucky girl!!! Happy planning to you!! Beautiful photos!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much for your kindness Nicole. I grow my pumpkins and cucumbers up trellis so that they don't take up too much room. Despite us being on an acreage, the garden is a work in progress and I don't have a huge amount of workable soil yet. x

      Delete
  2. I do so enjoy reading about your summer garden there, as we are in the dead of winter here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed reading Lynn! Stay warm x

      Delete
  3. Our fences get those woolly bits on them too Sarah...although we don't have wool shedding sheep! Do you know my last two batches of sourdough have not been completely successful. Over-proved or under-proved or the oven not hot enough. I am not sure, it is not an exact science is it? Lovely photos as always. Stay cool x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, bread making certainly isn't predictable. It's what makes it so fun and interesting, although sometimes it can be a little frustrating too ;-)

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh so gorgeous to get a glimpse of your woolly friends. My farmer boy keeps telling me that he fears summer is over already which is FREAKING ME OUT because I've barely had a bucketful of tomatoes yet and I am just not ready to move seasons and change the garden around just yet. SO I'll remain optimistic and keep hoping for more heat and sunshine. Your photos are beautiful by the way, lovely to visit your part of the world this morning. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly doesn't feel like summer is leaving any time soon here today! It is very hot and humid :-) I'm always glad when summer does leave, but I know it's your favourite season so I hope you keep getting sticky sunshiny days for a bit longer x

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos! I can't believe how quickly summer has slipped by but I'm guessing we will have a few more hot days to come. It seems to save it for the first couple of weeks of school, just to make sure we are completely done in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sarah! Just catching up :) It's the dead of winter here, so nothing exciting is happening in our garden at the moment, except for the resilient strawberry plants that seem to withstand snow and ice! Such delicate fruit, but hearty plants. Looking forward to spring! It's always a pleasure to visit your corner of the world! Have a wonderful weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea strawberries would be happy in snow! Hopefully you get lots of yummy fruit come spring x

      Delete

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall