Saturday, December 12, 2015

Sheep & Their Love of Apples





I remembered  that when the sheep first came home I quieted them with apples. I used to sit near them in the paddock with a bag of apples and a knife, and slice up pieces and toss it to them. They'd go running after those apples with such excitement that they didn't notice, or didn't care, that they were slowly getting closer to me. They loved their apples.
However by the time I remembered that they loved apples, it was too late.

Do you remember those blushing apples I proudly showed you? Yes well, the sheep enjoyed them. And they enjoyed the leaves surrounding them too. There's nothing but a bunch of bare twigs left sticking out of the ground. Our little apple tree has been munched to nothing by those greedy woolly creatures.

The reason they have access to the apple, and the other young fruit trees come to think of it, is that we rolled out some electric mesh and moved them in the graze around the trees, and in the land around the chicken pen/veggie garden. They were allowed to nibble at the natives and arrowroot. The pigeon peas have been pruned up to sheep height, which I knew would happen and was happy for them to do. They've been weeding and grass mowing. With their very full, round tummies you think they could have left the apple alone! But no, those cheeky wee lambs somehow knocked the cage over and got it off the apple tree - both of them - and they had a jolly afternoon feast yesterday.

Never mind. Lesson learned. Don't underestimate a sheep and their love for apples.

Have a good weekend!

Sarah x

Follow    Subscribe to Say! Little Hen via Email and never miss a post again

8 comments

  1. Probably not as funny to you as it is for your readers because your apple trees have been demolished. Still, I love the last picture with the one sheep who seems to be looking at you and saying "What do you mean someone ate your apple trees? It wasn't me!" So funny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Lynn and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it :-) I'm pretty the sheep in the last photo (her name is Minty) isn't to blame. I think a certain two lambs might just be the culprits :-)

      Delete
  2. I look forward to your posts...thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much Ann, I'm so glad to hear you enjoy them x

      Delete
  3. Your story did make me smile.... but sorry about the decimation of your lovely apple trees ;-) Those woolly creatures are just lovely though, aren't they? I love the quizzical look on their faces, in the pic. And are those Guinea fowl amongst the chickens? Are they tame? Only ever saw them running wild when we lived in Africa.
    Have a happy weekend, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good Gilly - I was hoping you'd get a giggle out of it :-) They certainly are lovely, such characters too!
      Yes they are Guinea Fowl. Whilst we own them they're not exactly tame...they have bred from the 6 we started with up to about 30. They roam the property and surrounding bush in about 3 separate flocks, but they come home to roost in a tree near the house every night and they hang around for breakfast every morning. Some even come for dinner (like the ones above).

      Delete
  4. Your post made me smile .. My dorper X fatties adore apples and carrots. Thankfully the apples are at the other end of the orchard .. There are olives, comfrey and a host of other yummy things to keep them occupied ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do they like olives? They seem to be happy to eat any tree or shrub! I didn't know you had Dorpers. Aren't they great :-)

      Delete

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall