Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Embracing the Summer Garden





For those of you gardening in temperate climates, summer is a wonderful gardening season. For me in the subtropics, it is the least productive time for traditional annual veggies. Even the zucchinis and tomatoes curl their toes up in the heart of summer some years.
For the last two years I've put a heap of pressure on myself to continue gardening with as much vigour in summer as I do the rest of the year.
It turns out, though, that pressure combined with gardening just doesn't work for me. 
I realised the other day that the pressure I'm putting on myself is actually causing me to avoid the garden, find it harder than it should be and notice all of the things that don't work in this ridiculous heat, rather than noticing the ones that do.
This afternoon I walked up to the chicken pen (which as you know is combined with the veggie garden) with a basket to collect eggs in and another for gathering herbs. I glanced despondently at my wilted, grub-eaten tomatoes. The other crop of tomatoes is suffering from bacterial wilt, which despite my attempts to manage it has invaded nearly every part of the garden. Sigh.

Then I looked over at the pretty afternoon light dancing on the cucumber vines, stretching their curls along the trellis and covered in little yellow flowers and cucumbers of varying sizes. As I picked the first one of the summer I felt happy and content. 
Next I found myself admiring the stand of volunteer rosellas. I began picking, thinking of stirring the vibrant jam tomorrow and then eating it with home grown lamb in Autumn. 
I looked around and I realised that summer may be a less productive time for some plants, but it's a bountiful time for others. And I realised that this garden is only young, and in reality I only have a few years gardening experience under my belt. I'll get better at growing through this sticky, hot season and I'll learn what is realistic to expect of the garden at this time of year.

So whilst I might not be harvesting arm loads of veg, I'll be picking herbs for drying, rosellas for jam making, cucumbers and zucchinis, beans and a little bit of this and that too. The spring onions are nearly ready too. Written down, it sounds like more than I realised. 
I'll try my hardest not to wish this summer away, and to continue to learn how to grow food I like* in a subtropical summer garden.


PS I'll be sharing two recipes for using rosellas during the week 


*I say "food I like" because I am aware of plenty of edible subtropical foods, but I don't like wing beans and I don't like arrowroot. Just saying.


Follow    Subscribe to Say! Little Hen via Email and never miss a post again

12 comments

  1. I've never seen rosellas growing (actually I have no idea what they are).
    In contrast to you, I garden in summer when it's easy but like you, realised that rather than beat myself up by trying to grow more difficult things in autumn and winter, it's better to admit I haven't the time or inclination and spend the time doing what I really want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosellas are a type of hibiscus, a warm season annual. They have edible leaves and flowers and grow into a little shrub. :-)
      Thanks for your comment Anne - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that struggles to garden year round x

      Delete
  2. Your Rosella are such a lovely color. It will be interesting to see your recipes for the rosella. And I can imagine that your cucumber have a wonderful flavor that only home-grown garden fresh cucumbers have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you :-) Yes homegrown cucumbers are so flavoursome and crunchy :-)

      Delete
  3. I am in the sub tropics as well and up until last year I felt Summer was just too hard for growing food but I've since come to realise it is great for some things that almost take car of themselves like pumpkin. Now I just let them go this time of year and go in a pick late February and have a stockpile for ages. This year I have a great crop of corn (well great by my standards - I have a tiny garden space) and I have also planted watermelon so i am hoping they will do well. I have also made a whole lot of wicking pots for growing herbs, asian greens and shallots in more shaded areas. Your pics have reminded me I shall have to try and find a spot for cucumber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I've never grown watermelon, I seem to miss putting it in every year. I love eating them though :-) My pumpkin vine is just starting to take off, I'm looking forward to it fruiting. I grow my cucumber up a trellis so it doesn't take up much space at all, and the fruit is less likely to be damaged too.
      Enjoy your corn! x

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this post ... I so understand about putting pressure on oneself. But it usually means that I go flat out until I get things right. Nuts! LOL ... I just love your images, your post left me feeling relaxed. Sigh ... Toms - are gross feeders. I have used gypsum around mine, plus an array of fertilisers (home made and fish fert). My fingers are crossed .. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie and I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed it! I hope you get a bumper crop from your tomatoes x

      Delete
  5. Rosella. I am trialling a bunch of new food plants in my garden at the moment and hadn't thought of Rosellas. What a wonderful idea. I have had little time for the garden this summer, but it still surprises and delights me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about Rosellas is they practically take care of themselves. After planting them once, mine self seed and I just leave them grow. I don't both fertilising them either, but they do enjoy a good drink with the rest of the garden. :-)

      Delete
  6. Great post Sarah. I agree, we have had a week of 40+ temperatures and no rain. My garden is wilting and so am I. We can only do so much and pressure really doesn't help does it? The rosellas are fascinating, I have not seen them before. Continue to notice that pretty light! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you poor thing - above 30 is too much for me, I can't imagine it being over 40! We don't tend to get over 36 here, and yesterday and today it's been unseasonally cool and windy due to the cyclone that is near by. I hope you get some cooler weather soon! x

      Delete

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall