Sunday, October 25, 2015

A Spiky Little Visitor





 I had just finished locking up the sheep for the evening, and was sitting in the shed contemplating names for Mabel's newborn twins when I spotted the Echidna. I felt like a tourist in a kangaroo park as I stood and watched in awe and delight as this special little animal walked through the paddock collecting his dinner. This is only the second time I have ever seen one and I was so surprised and thrilled to find him!

Sitting in the sheep shed is something I don't usually do. Normally I am hurrying off to complete the next task.
I've been hurrying a great deal too much lately. The little Echidna made me realise that if you don't take the time to slow down and stop, you'll likely miss out on the tiny details of life that make it so enjoyable.

The house may be messy and in need of a good scrubbing, the windows may still need cleaning from this summer's bug season, my potting area might be a disaster zone complete with dead seedlings, but reality is there are only so many hours in a day, and each day should be spent with some slow, quiet time where we can just pause and absorb the world around us.

Because if we don't, we might just miss out on a spiky little visitor like this one.
And what would be the point in living in such a beautiful place as this if we don't take the time to enjoy the extraordinary things surrounding us?

Have a lovely Sunday
Sarah x



Subscribe to Say! Little Hen via Email and never miss a post again

Follow

8 comments

  1. Sarah the Echidna is so cute. I'm happy you experienced this special moment on your farm. On the recent long weekend, while camping with friends, it helped me to pause many times to enjoy the millions of stars glistening in the darkest black sky. To breathe in the fresh country air. I watched a mother kangaroo with a joey in her pouch and a sibling next to her. A golden dragonfly landed on our boys tent just before we packed up. It was a magical weekend! Some of the reasons why I love nature. Have a beautiful weekend, Julia @squeeze_cuddles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia,
      That sounds like an awesome trip. Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  2. Such an awesome little critter.

    Good to catch up with you in your new space Sarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! Sometimes the little things turn out to be the biggest and best things

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Sarah, I need these words right now! What a lovely visitor. We see echidnas every so often, we regularly see where they have been digging. It is always exciting to spot one...I often wonder how they find each other to breed when to even see one is so rare. I guess they have their ways!? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Jane! They are a treat to see - I guess the Echidnas are probably better at finder each other than we are at finding them! Although I read on a wildlife site that at breeding time "trains" of Echidnas are usually seen - one female is followed by a group of males until she decides which one is the winner.
      I'd love to come across an Echidna train one day - how cute would that be?

      Delete

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall