Sunday, March 18, 2018

Making Mug Cosies


It's cast-on day today for the Mug Cosy Knit-Along, and it's been really lovely seeing the beginnings of lots of mug cosies in the Facebook group. I'm really excited that so many knitters are trying colour work for the first time. It's one of my favourite forms of knitting, so to be able to encourage others to give it a go is wonderful.

I started my own mug cosy this morning, after casting off the front of my Feather Stitch Sweater. I've just the sleeves to do now, and it won't be long before I start them as mug cosies are so quick! I chose to make the Happy Hedgehogs cosy for the KAL, as it's probably my favourite.
While knitting it this afternoon I was reflecting on this time last year, the day I officially opened my online yarn store. With just one small line of yarn in my shop, I remember being nervous and excited to announce it online. I was getting ready to send sample cards to several lovely people who had asked after them after reading my blog post about my upcoming shop.

I chose to host a mug cosy Knit-Along to celebrate a year of yarn for several reasons. The first was because I wanted something that we could all participate in and enjoy together, and I chose mug cosies because they are fast projects so easy to squeeze in-between other knitting projects. Another reason I chose them, and it's one I'm fairly certain no one would have guessed, is because mug cosies are tied very closely to the opening of my yarn shop.



In the months before I opened my shop, I was knitting mug cosies and selling them, through this blog here and also on Instagram. I started making them just for fun, and after blogging about them received several requests to purchase them. I was still enjoying making mug cosies and so I sold them and was continually surprised by how many people wanted to buy them. I spent a couple of months knitting and selling mug cosies, while the idea of my yarn shop that I'd long dreamt about finally formed more clearly in my mind.
The proceeds from the sales of those mug cosies contributed quite heavily towards the beginning of my shop. It's not something I planned, nor something I would have thought possible, but there it is. Obviously, they weren't the only funding, but I think it's pretty amazing that little knitted mug cosies helped contribute in such a way.

So here we are - one year on, and knitting mug cosies to celebrate! My hedgehogs are starting to appear on my cosy and I plan to get a little more knitting done this evening.

What are you knitting at the moment?
Did you join the knit-along? Make sure you pop up a picture of your cosy progress in the Facebook group or tag #saylittlehenkal on Instagram.

Happy new week!
Sarah x

Project Details:
Pattern: Happy Hedgehogs Mug Cosy by me
Yarn: WOOLganic Merino 8ply in Lotus, Adagio Mills Alpaca 8ply in Vanilla Milkshake, Chai & Chocolate Indulgence


PS The shop has had a little face-lift to celebrate turning one. You can check it out here if you'd like to have a peak.


Subscribe to receive posts via email and never miss out again

2 comments

  1. Happy birthday Say! Little Hen shop . What a busy year it has been! Thank you creating such a beautiful shop Sarah, a shop full of ethical yarn in a rainbow of colours, yarn you want to snuggle into :) xox

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall