Tuesday, December 20, 2016

My Makes of 2016

What a wonderful year of making! To think at times that I thought I'd done poorly in the knitting stakes this year - well, as I starting putting together the collages for this post I realised just how much I had actually created!
I may not have gotten any socks knitted, as I'd planned at the start of the year, but I got a lot of other things made. And I also overcame quite a few crafty hurdles.
At the beginning of the year I took a brave leap (for me!) and cast on my Chocolate Shrug, which was the first garment I'd ever knitted in-the-round. It also came with learning a few other skills, but I overcame them and best of all had lots of fun making it too.

My biggest making wish for 2016 was to finally complete my Clara Bow Sweater, and I'm so happy that I achieved that! The thing I wanted to make most was a Baa-ble Hat. It was so fun and I'll definitely be making more (several family members have requested a 'sheep hat'!).

There were some practical makes, finishing off of long time projects and making a dent in projects that are still on the go. And there was some gift knitting, some toy knitting and some knitting for my little blog shop.
One of the things I love about knitting (or any crafting, really) is that it's a wonderful way to relax. It's therapeutic and there's definitely been times over the last 12 months where my craft has been my therapy, my way of escape and my way to find some calm in a stressful period.
It's also a wonderful way to make new friends and connect with like-minded individuals. Sharing the joy of creating is a lovely thing to do, either through sharing pictures of your projects on your blog, gifting items you've made to others or meeting up in real-life for a crafting session.


Books I created from this year:

Knit Vintage by Madeline Weston & Rita Taylor
Natural Nursery Knits by Erica Knight
201 Knitting Motifs, Blocks, Projects & Ideas by Nicki Trench
Dream Toys to Knit by Claire Garland (sadly out of print! Check your local library)

The three patterns I enjoyed using the most this year:
Baa-ble Hat by Donna Smith
Little Oddment Hedgehog by Julie Williams
Unicorn by Claire Garland

Tools I loved:
My Clover pompom makers - best.tool.EVER
The Tasmanian Oak needles I was gifted
The Knit Pro DPN needles I bought - they made knitting the Baa-ble Hat a dream!

And so, without further delay, here is the complete round-up of all the #makesof2016 that I blogged about:

January - Blanket Squares - Bamboo Washcloths
February - Chocolate Shrug
March - Baa-ble Hat
April - Waving Lace Washcloths
July - Clara Bow Sweater
September - Organic Cotton Hedgehogs
October - Neapolitan Ice Cream - More Blanket Knitting
November - Mini Knitted Christmas Stockings - Mushroom Heat Pack Cover - Myrtle the Unicorn + Miss Strudel Owl

And there were some baby knits I didn't blog about, and many a blanket square that hasn't shown it's face either. The blanket squares will get their moment to shine when I finish my knitted quilt next year - that's my biggest knitting goal!
And making the 'next year' list is once again some socks. And some more Baa-ble Hats.

And last - but certainly not least - all of the designs I made and published this year.

-- Little Lollipop Rabbit -- Waving Lace Washcloths
-- Pretty & Practical Washcloths -- The Princess & the Pompom Cape & Stocking Cap Set
-- Trio of Blocks -- Neapolitan Icecream Washcloth
-- Little Picnic Owl -- Tiny Mushroom Motif
-- Mushroom Baby Rattle

And while I'm here, THANK YOU for your support through your gorgeous comments, emails, and pattern purchases. From the bottom of my heart, thank-you. It's meant more than you can know.

Are you joining in the 2016 Creative Review? I hope so! (See yesterday's post here for more info).

Add your link here by the 31st of December!



Subscribe to receive posts via email and never miss out again

10 comments

  1. I want to learn to knit in the round - I just can't get my head around how it works. Love that beautiful Sweater. Looking forward to a new year of creations from you. Thanks also for organising your Here & now and this new Link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll always favour knitting flat, but it's great to be able to do both, so I'm not restricted with the patterns I try. Having excellent quality DPN needles has definitely helped.
      Thanks for joining in! x

      Delete
  2. You have some beautiful makes, Sarah - you've made heaps!! The collages look wonderful. Thank you for the Linkup. I love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so very much Meredithe! And thanks for joining in x

      Delete
  3. Your creations are all just so beautiful. Although I dont comment very often, I always read your lovely blog & enjoy it so much. Thank you for all that you share. I hope to try to knit a little better next year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much for your beautiful comment Julie! Best of luck with your knitting x

      Delete
  4. What a great year of making. Isn't blogging nice for having these visual and written records. A Merry Christmas to you and a happy 2017 of making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! Yes blogging is great for keeping track of things, one of the reasons I love it :-)
      I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas & New Year x

      Delete
  5. So happy to have found you Sarah! Your blog is beautiful, and all your makes just superb! Thanks for sharing all your talent xxAli

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall