Wednesday, February 17, 2016

When The Words Won't Come


I've many pictures to share with you, some I have been holding onto for more than a week. I've been trying to find words to match them, ways to write the stories that go with them but the words won't come. And then the worst thing that can happen when I am trying to write happened - I started to stress about the fact that I seem to have lost my blogging voice. Stress is, as we all know, counterproductive to any creative pursuit, and for me that includes writing. I have thoughts I want to share with you, little stories I wanted to write about but none of them seemed to fit together somehow, and none were significant enough to stand alone.
So here today are just some pictures, and a few simple words to go with them.




Words such as these baby chickens that have been escaping their pen almost daily for the past week. With a little reshuffling in the housing department, however, they are now secure and have not escaped for several days.



Around the house there are beautiful pink flowers, and buzzing bees to go with them. And farther along there are smiling sunflowers that I haven't snapped, and drooping ones too that have lived their short life cycle.



And there are sweet weaner lambs growing up, and green paddocks and the stillness of production that seems to come every February. There is nothing being born, nothing being bred and little happening in the garden. February is a still month for us, one usually of waiting and planning and this particular February seems to be one of repetition.


I'd love to know what your February is like. Is it similar every year? Perhaps something about it has changed this time around?
Are your thoughts jumbled or clear?

I hope the rest of your week is good,
Sarah x


Subscribe to Say! Little Hen via email and never miss a post again

20 comments

  1. Anything from your blog is always interesting. For me in FNQ I am wishing February would end. We are having 37deg C days and 26/27deg C nights. The humidity is the worst I have known and I think I now resemble a blob of perspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Ann! We're in FNQ too, although thankfully I don't think we've gotten over 35'C yet! We've been having the warm nights too, it's not very pleasant is it?

      Delete
  2. Your pictures alone can carry your blog....they are gorgeous, each and every time. Our February is pretty much the same as always. We have a really cold week and then a warm one and then it repeats. We have had an exceptionally wet fall and winter this year, though. I start getting spring fever about this time of year, not that I dislike cold. But because I'm dreaming of a garden and flowers. Love your blog! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much Laurie! August is like that for us - it makes me think winter is leaving and then it comes back again. Hopefully spring arrives for you soon. I'm hanging out for Autumn x

      Delete
  3. What beautiful pictures and words! February is alway busy with the start of a new school year. We spend the first few weeks trying to find that ever evolving rhythm that will suit the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Kate! I hope you settle into a routine soon x

      Delete
  4. Lovely Sarah...words don't always flow do they? But somehow things eventually fit together. Much like Kate, we are busy getting into a school routine as well as the constant farm stuff. Your animals look so content as always. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they don't...however unusual it feels to write about not writing ;-)

      Delete
  5. I hope that all is ok in your world, Sarah. Try not to let the stress get you. Just take life as it comes and be quiet whenever you need it. Never mind the lack of words - pictures are worth a thousand anyways. Mind your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much for your thoughtful comment Laura, I really appreciate it xx

      Delete
  6. What you captured in your photos speaks what your soul was witnessing . . . capturing the moments, the beauty, the action, the living, the choosing of the subject in each . . . it seems you haven't lost your voice, you are just speaking another language that can be heard and understood by all. Darlene P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much Darlene! They do say a photo is worth a thousand words, don't they? x

      Delete
  7. Spookily, I felt just the same this month. Our February is cold and it's a bit of a drag at the tail end of winter. Roll on spring I say!

    Sometimes blog posts don't need lots of words - I'm happy to gaze at your photos with their vibrant colours, which are such a contrast to our February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Anne. I hope Spring comes for you soon! x

      Delete
  8. February here is cloudy and cold with a chance of snow and ice, then the very next day it can be beautiful blue skies and warm days for a week. I guess I shouldn't complain because I like both types of weather, but I really wish it would just be winter like it's supposed to. This month has had a lot of drama in it. I will be glad when it all passes. Twenty year old children think they know it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Changing weather is annoying isn't it? August is usually like that for us, I can almost guarantee that I catch a cold at the end of winter every year :-)
      I hope the remainder of February is more peaceful for you x

      Delete
  9. Great post! Your pictures of the animals on the farm are always so interesting and pretty. February in South Carolina, though not as cold and snowy as some other parts of the U.S., is definitely not exactly springlike or summery either most of the time. That said, the past couple of days have shown some warmer than usual temps. That is part of the wonder and beauty of the world we live in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn. Everyone I have spoken to lately has been having unseasonal weather. It certainly does make the world interesting x

      Delete
  10. These photos speak for themselves. Stunning.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall