Thursday, January 07, 2016

Squaring Along


I think making these blanket squares is addictive.
I'd cast off the Argyle square a week or two ago (the pink and white fair isle design), and since then I hadn't cast on another square. I tend to procrastinate a bit about choosing the design. There are so many in this delightful book!


On the weekend I had a fair amount of time on my hands, so I sat down with a movie and my knitting basket, and I knitted a pile of squares.
I chose the Ridged Bricks design, and I began to knit. What a delicious square this is! So easy, yet with such an interesting texture and soft cosy feel. I made five before I decided it was time to change square. I chose the Planting Seeds square. I made one in wild rose organic cotton, and now on my needles is the second in a baby blue bamboo. It's also easy, and enjoyable. I think there will be a pile of Planting Seeds squares before long too!




I've got so many squares now that I am have to cram the lid of my basket shut. I think I'll have to move some into another box. I'm getting a bit excited, seeing the squares beginning to stack up.
I'm dreaming of this being a beautiful organic cotton and bamboo blanket to curl up under by winter. I'll be able to look at it and see each different square and remember what was happening at the time I was making it. There will be different textures, different patterns and different yarns. Some squares will be ones that I designed, but most will be from the book. I'll be able to pat it, and snuggle into it, and feel proud of it. Oh how I love making blankets!
And making one like this is especially convenient. Knitting it just one square at a time means I am able to knit it during summer. I don't have half a blanket sitting in my lap while I work, and in autumn or winter I'll be able to arrange them and sew them altogether. I love stitching things together by hand, and darning in all the yarn ends won't be a problem either as I've set myself a rule. I darn in the ends on three squares at a time, before casting on the next. Being faced with a whole pile is daunting, I know, but three little squares as I go along is nothing at all.

In between all of this knitting, I am happily reading my way through Jane Austen's books. I finished Pride & Prejudice much faster than I thought. I loved it and I absolutely hate it when I finish a book I'm enjoying - it's inevitable but it's an absolute bother. Now I am about to start reading Emma and I am hoping I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the last one.

What projects are you working on at the moment?
Are reading a book for the first time or re-reading a much loved one?

Thank-you so much for stopping by!

Sarah x

I'm joining Ginny for Yarn Along ~ "Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading and I love sharing my projects and current reads here. I would love for you to join me every Wednesday to share a single photo of what you are knitting (or crocheting) and reading too! Share your photo on your blog, on Instagram (#yarnalong), or on Flickr. Leave a link below to share your photo with the rest of us!" If you'd like to join too, pop over here.

Follow    Subscribe to Say! Little Hen via Email and never miss a post again

9 comments

  1. Your squares are gorgeous. What brand of yarn are you using? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Julie! Some are Twilleys of Stamford Freedom Sincere Organic Cotton DK & the others are Patons Serenity DK (50% Cotton 50% Bamboo).

      Delete
  2. Wow! These are so very beautiful, how exciting to see them taking shape and looking forward to seeing it come together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely squares, and lovely photo of them all with your Jane Austen book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those yummy squares! This looks therapeutic, and it will be a beautiful blanket to boot. Can't beat that! I would love to do this, but I don't have a stash to bust. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly! It is very relaxing and enjoyable :-)
      You could always buy yarn specifically for a blanket, then you'd end up with the beginnings of a stash as the leftovers ;-)

      Delete

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall