Sunday, January 04, 2015

Sunday Musings



I'm sitting outside with my cup of tea, enjoying the peace and quiet that only early morning brings. The day is about to begin, nothing has gone wrong yet. Sometimes at the beginning of a day I fleetingly wonder what I will actually achieve, and what new antics the animals have in store for us today.


They're nearly always up to something. Sometimes it's something more complicated like one getting sick (our cattle went through a recent bought of mild three-day sickness) or a fence needing fixing or a cow getting out. There are also the occasional events when it's an three day drama, like the time our bulls got cranky with each other and figured out how to get the gate that separated them off it's hinges. I won't bore you with the details of why it was a three day episode, but I'm happy to say that sort of thing hasn't happened since.
Other days it is more simple - the tomatoes might have mysteriously started to wither (this is happening right now...I'm at a loss as to what to do), the cow might not 'let down' her milk at milking time, or perhaps a chicken door will be left open and we'll find two flocks mingling. As long as it's not two flocks with a rooster in each, it's not really a problem.
I really do enjoy working with our animals, even with all the things they get up to!




The greenery in the photos you see above is from our irrigation. A few acres have irrigation on them but the rest of the property relies on the rain.
It's been very dry here lately, although yesterday we were received 28mls of rain...the dam no longer smells of dead fish and has a little bit of water in it again. The rain was a wonderful start to the year, I really hope we get some follow up rain, it'd be great if the wet season finally arrives properly.


Speaking of summer weather, I'm trying hard to keep my pledge of gardening through summer. I know for a lot of you, particularly those of you living the the southern states, summer and spring are your bigger growing seasons. Up here it's just too hot, and usually too wet. It's too cold for tomatoes in the middle of winter, so there's a small window of opportunity for them to grow abundantly in Autumn and Spring. We achieved that in 2013, there were weeks on end where the house and the veggie garden smelt of tomatoes and I was sick of the sight of them. Days filled with harvesting, slicing and bottling them. I really hope I can repeat that this year, not just with tomatoes but with other produce too.

I'm realistic and know that we won't grow an abundance of food through summer, but if I can keep the lettuces going I will be content. And I'm trying to get the veggie gardens prepared for the growing season when it arrives in March-April. We've been filling the garden and chicken runs with the lots of mulch and spilled hay from around the cow's hay feeders. I plan on planting a few patches of cow pea, for a green manure crop and for the chickens. I'm really excited about this year's growing season, actually. I've got high hopes and plans for it, I can't wait to get stuck into it.


...........................

What are you up to this morning?
I hope you have a good day and enjoy what's left of the weekend!


Sarah x

9 comments

  1. I love the photo of your dog.Good luck with all your plans for this year and I will look forward to hearing about your progress.Barbarax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Barbara! That's her cooling down in the trough after working the sheep, she loves it :-)

      Delete
  2. Yes I agree that dog photo is awesome and the animal circus sounds like they keep you on your toes. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane
    www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Kathy! They certainly do keep us busy!!

      Delete
  3. Early morning is a glorious time of day. I was so busy at work through spring that I didn't have a chance to put in my spring and summer plantings. I, like you, will be happy to get tomatoes off and this week will put in basil, parsley and lettuce - the summer salad staples in our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on throwing in some salad green seeds this afternoon, we'll see what happens though. Best of luck with your summer garden x

      Delete
  4. Hi Sarah ... I so enjoy your blog. And what about your sheep! Wonderful photos. Ah the trials and tribulations of living on the land. Bet you wouldn't change it though :) Good luck with those tomatoes ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly wouldn't! :-) Thank-you for your lovely comment x

      Delete
  5. I can only imagine what you encounter with all of your animals but boy I bet it makes life so rich!!! And I wonder why your tomatoes are withering at the moment?? I am so glad to hear that you all got rain! I look forward to seeing more of your crops Sarah! And how cute is that picture of your pup up there!!! Happy week to you!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Please don't be shy - leave a comment, answer a question or tell your own story! I love the conversation and community - it's what blogging is all about x

You don't need an account to comment, simply use the Anonymous option or Name/URL

© Say Little Hen
Maira Gall